Friday, April 21, 2006

Awkward...

So yesterday I am sitting at my desk, minding my own business, when a business associate comes in. He is relatively new to the company, and I don't know him every well. Despite these two things, he always seems to talk to me as though we have grown up the best of friends. Usually when he comes in the door he stops at the front of my desk, gives me this huge grin and says, "Heeeeeeeey, Amandaaaaaa! How are yooooooou?"
He could have seen me the day before. Hours before. Minutes. It doesn't matter. He greets me as though it has been ages.
So yesterday, he comes in, we do the mandatory "It's so nice to see you" greeting, and he goes into a meeting. After the meeting he comes out and to the front of my desk again to say goodbye. Only this time---he changes it up. It's not just the creepy grin and the "have a fabulous day." This time he holds out his left hand. I was so flustered, and the fact that he held out his hand with the palm facing down, I was completely confused as to what I should do to reciprocate. Without thinking, I grabbed his left hand with my left hand.
So there we were. Me reaching over my computer. Basically holding this guy's hand. We looked at each other for a moment, no words, spoken, before I quickly let go and began typing furiously on my keyboard. He mumbled an "I guess I'll see ya later..." and I nodded my head so quickly I'm sure it looked as though I was convulsing and squeaked a pathetic "okay."
Why do things like this always happen to me?!
This is just one of the many reasons why I do not like touching strangers!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

stuff like that happens to me too. don't worry. i will try to remember something that was similar in strangeness to ease your troubled mind that you are a "weird"-magnet. either that or we are both Weird-Magnets.

Hobo said...

i think it's office strange brew stuff. and from the sounds of your workplace, i deduce that it's ULTRA strange brew in there so these things are bound to happen. you poor soul. you'll be moving to oregon soon and working in a totally different field!

Sarita said...

Oh dear. Bless your heart. Once I was on the wierd end of the conversation and told a consultant "love ya!" before hanging up the phone.

I was mortified.

Thank you for being kind to wierd souls.

Amanda and McKay said...

Even though this guy is a weirdo, this was totally my fault. I felt like such a nerd. I hate when stuff like that happens, and you can feel the twinge of embarrassment in your stomach for days to come.