Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Bless You, Rent.com

I have these days where I can't even bring myself to get the mail. This is usually because I am too tired, or because I just don't want to see what could possibly be waiting for me in that dark, dank little box. One of the many reasons I have decided that after this whole school phase in our life, we need to become independently wealthy.
But I decided this evening, I would brave it. I would make the trek to my fortress of a mailbox. Does anyone else have to use a special, separate key just to get to the place where the mailboxes, secured by yet another lock and key, are kept? And do you also find yourself locked in the room that holds the mailboxes because the door locks behind you? I don't know what kind of mail my neighbors get, but apparently it's top secret high security business. That's yet another reason why it's so easy to talk myself out of getting the mail. I don't feel like playing McGyver. Anyway.
Amidst the annoyingness of bank statements and pointless paper-wasting products (that tidbit of alliteration was just off the top of my head, by the way) I found a letter from Rent.com. I'm sure you can imagine the elation felt when I realized that they were writing to inform me that they were giving ME money!! Because I used their service to find our apartment and alerted my leasing office that they were the ones who helped me to find this place, they sent me $100 bucks! I totally forgot that I had filled out all of the info and sent the emails to qualify me for that $100 bucks. It's like the feeling you get when you find a $10 bill in the pocket of the jeans you haven't worn in a while. Times ten. Literally.
So kudos to you, Rent.com. I will tell the world my story. And give copious thanks forever more. Or at least until this $100 bucks runs out.

5 comments:

Sarita said...

Why, that almost excited me to actually get my own mail.

You are a inspiration and a treasure Mandy. I can't think of a more deserving recipient of such a reward.

Anonymous said...

Hi. It's Mary. I'm on that stupid beta blogger system, and I can't leave comments any other way.

I'm glad that you got $100 in the mail. Odds are you won't be getting any more of those checks for at least a year. So no point in going back to the mailroom until then.

breena rae said...

100 bones...nice. b-day cards from fam and money, which sometimes go together, are like the tokens we find in our mail boxes. I always shuffle through to find those things and toss the rest to Mitch. Oh, another good thing is getting your mother-in-laws mail at the same house because she always subscriptions to like Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel (maybe those are free), but we get them and I like that.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe it. Try cashing the check and then tell me what happens. Too good to be true, this rent.com.
Sincerely,
Retired Blogger

Britten said...

Almost makes me wish I were renting again.