Wednesday, September 20, 2006

New Favorites





















Seeing as how I am going through about a book a week these days, it's a really good thing I got myself this gig at a used bookstore. There are definite days I feel as though this job was created with me in mind.
I looooove my little bookstore.

One of the beautiful things about my job is that I can read whatever I want in the store. If I'm restocking books and see something of interest, I take it home, bring it back when I'm done. It's fabulous. I have read so many new and interesting authors.
I'm getting smarter and more cultured all the time, I swear.

My latest discoveries, though, have definitely been the best. I avoided Poisonwood Bible for a while because it bore the emblem of Oprah Winfrey's bookclub. No offense to anyone who is an Oprah fan, but I definitely am not one. I have respect for the good things she has done, and props to her for trying to get people to read more, but there's a lot about her that gets under my skin. Putting her name on a book she did not have anything to do with writing being one of them. Anyway, I finally decided to read it because it came highly recommended by my well-read co-workers. It truly changed the way I think. About some things at least. Amazing, amazing writing. It's the story of a family moved to the Congo by their fanatical preacher husband/father, told from the point of view of his wife and four daughters. Reading this book made me miss writing lit papers. Rich and fat with metaphors and symbolism. It's a book about so many things--family, politics, forgiveness, culture, ignorance, humility, kindness...it's just an impressive piece of work. One of my all time favorites.

I just finished The Bean Trees yesterday. I liked this one, not as well as Poisonwood, but still very good. This one is the story of a woman travelling cross-country who ends up becoming responsible for an orphaned native american baby. Another wonderful character-driven story about people. I guess that's why I like these books. They're about real people, flaws and all. Really a great book.

Okay, so I'm officially an old woman. I'm learning how to knit and I blog about books I've read. I suppose there are more interesting things that I could have blogged, but I'm so into books right now. And Sequence. What a great game that is.

6 comments:

Sarita said...

Oh Manda....I love love love this book. Couldnt put it down, and my feelings got hurt when I recommended it to my roommate, she read a couple chapters and then lost interest and put it back in my room. My mother has encouraged me to check out Kingsolver's other works as she has enjoyed them. My mom's cool like that.

Love it! Now I'm just gushing.

Sweet bookstore gig!

Mary said...

okay...it's been sitting on my shelf for like a year. as soon as i finish Witch of Blackbird Pond, i'm definitely starting it. finally.

Jessica said...

Poisonwood Bible...Top of my best ever lists for sure!! I read it a few years ago and can't stop thinking about it. I have recommended to like, everyone I ever talk to, I think Sarah is the only one who actually ever listened to me though. Of maybe she didn't, maybe it was mom who got her to read it! Anyway, most amazing book! In fact, I think it's time to read it again...

Amanda and McKay said...

Hooray for fellow Poisonwood lovers!! It's not just me!
It took her over 20 years to finish this book. Well worth the time and research I'd say.

breena rae said...

You into Sequence? (it was the one thing that clicked for me since I haven't read those books) Sequence is one of my family's fav games. We always play it into the wee hours of the night. As for books, I'll have to get to those someday. As for now, it is "What to Expect When You're Expecting"...except that's gotten boring because I have read like the whole thing and now I am just waiting for everything to happen...

Britten said...

Wait a minute!!! Jess, you never recommended this book to me!!!! Now I'm feeling left out :(. Course, I feel out of the loop when it comes to books right now if they are anything other than Star Wars novels and comics.

Manda - I have so wanted to come on over to your blog cuz I see you posting in the Jones' blogs and I think....yeah, I need to get over there. BYW, I'm britten, breena's older sister...not sure you remember me.

Oh, yeah, Oprah's been pissing me off lately. Mainly because she contradicts herself and she's a democrat-loving celebrity worshipper, and I could go on, but won't. Although, I did go out and buy and "inspi(red)" t-shirt, but only because I want to help people in Africa and I like Bono.

I often give TMI too...


You are a Star Wars fan???? I want pics of your Star Wars themed office!!! SWEET! I just bought my tickets for C4 in L.A.

All in all, I like your thoughts! I will be frequenting your blog from now on.