Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ken and Ally's Wedding Weekend



My sister in law got married, and we were lucky enough to join in on the festivities. In Kauai, no less! It was a quick trip-- I had to get back for work and McKay for school, so we didn't have a whole lot of time, but we stayed long enough for me to enjoy some shave ice (which didn't compare to Matsimotos), a full rainbow at sunset, island music (including Three Plus' "Undercover Lover" in F-Land, Laura!), snorkeling, unexpected yet wonderfully warm rain showers, pineapple from a local farmers market and carmacs. Oh, and a lovely wedding. We had a great time.

While I was there I thought a lot about the summer I spent on Oahu 5 years back. The music and the smells and the stickiness and the lounging on lanais... all I had money to do that summer was sit on the beach, much like this summer, and it was still just as fabulous. I thought of the short walk from my practically condemned, being held together by cinder blocks shack to Hukilau beach--the shack I shared with 5 other girls. The Laie temple just around the corner. The bus rides to the north shore with the Ukulele player singing and playing his heart out in the back. Watching the filming of Blue Crush, walking back and forth in front of Surf N Sea hoping I'd see myself on the big screen. Dinners with Laura at pizza bob's, banana pancakes with coconut syrup, halpea ice cream on campus, shopping trips to Food land, hoping and praying that Laura's 1974 Buick dinosaur would get us there and back, despite the fact that 1st gear was the only one that worked.
These are some of my most favorite memories and I am SO glad that I took that opportunity. To quit my job, grab my camera, and just let life pass me by for a while.

Anyway--a few pictures from the wedding trip a couple of weeks ago.

My favorite flower girl, Maddie Anne...




















The Bride's tropical bouquet...










Notice the hawaiian garden hose behind us...

6 comments:

Hobo said...

I remember the old green faithful. What a beauty. Those were THE DAYS.
Those are awesome pictures. I love that one of you and McKay. You look GREAT together. Oh and P.S. that pile of cinder blocks was a mansion compared to some in Laie. Remember when Jackie Larsen stole my boyfriend at that house? Ah well. He was a jerk anyway. Also, lazy. Also, I need to get over that.

Amanda and McKay said...

haah! Laura. He WAS lazy. And he liked the Lakers. And you are way too hot for him.

Amanda and McKay said...

PS. Why do my pictures look all crappy on my blog when in the draft the layout was much better??

Hobo said...

Word. Thank you. He WAS a Laker fan and that is unacceptable behavior.

I think your pictures look great. You're straight trippin boo.

breena rae said...

what a wedding to get invited to!

Unknown said...

i guess i didn't read about this wedding!!!! L-U-C-K-Y!