
to dearest Laura for her gift this week. I am currently sitting listening to the music of P&P and thinking it was MUCH needed. Listening to "Your Hands are Cold" and thinking about how much I like that part in this movie. And how this Darcy was THE Darcy, for me. Totally the way I imagined him.
I hosted a book club about a month ago where we discussed Pride and Prejudice. I've read this book a million times-- and it shows. The spine of my copy is broken, the cover was ripped off sometime in high school, it has been chewed on, water stained, food stained, sun stained, etc. But I can't get rid of it! It holds too many memories--parts I'd outlined, pages folded over of my favorite parts. I have to keep it forever.
Anyway, getting off track here. Hosting this book club I really came to realize that I am not the only one with such strong feelings about this story. It actually kind of amazed me how intense, and almost heated, the discussion got regarding the characters in this story. EVERYONE who has read Elizabeth Bennet KNOWS Elizabeth Bennet. She (or he) knows what she's like, how she moves, how she says things, what her relationship is with others...you do not mess with someone's ideals about Elizabeth Bennet, that is what I learned from that book club.
I do not exclude myself from this group of all-knowing Elizabeth Bennet fans. I love her because she is so incredibly real. I love that she is flawed and beautiful. Awkward and poised. Insecure and courageous. Honest and sarcastic. She was the first character in a book that I wanted as my friend. One of the greatest literary characters ever, in my humble opinion.
Kudos to you, Jane Austen. And kudos to Laura, for the lovely gift that has conjured my gratitude for good music and good books.
5 comments:
Amen. What more can I say?
Couldn't have gifted that to a more suitable soul. Aside from myself. Also, me.
Love,
Laura
i would have liked to be a part of your bookclub........
Come visit me! I'll host a book club in your honor.
Amanda! I need your email address so that I can send you an invite to my blog - had to protect the younglings. I will have Star Wars yummies from Celebration 4 up soon! Plus you gotta go on there and see a really good Anakin-look-a-like in a post not too long ago.
Email me at feyavanya@pacbell.net.
I second that "Amen" from Jess. In fact, "Your Hands Are Cold" track on my CD is now worn so much you can see it. That is one of the greatest movie moments in the history of cinema!
Post a Comment